August 23, 2011

Canada Guy

Hey folks!

Life has been pretty busy here in Iceland for the first week or so of classes!! Full tilt into academia. I feel like I got off on the wrong floor of the elevator and found a wicked party, a lot of confusion, and endless overcast on a really desolate but beautiful piece of volcanic rock.

Anyways, it's hard to remember what exactly has happened since I wrote last week. Lots of beer, early mornings, late nights, NOVA tents, fireworks, music, and about 12 hours of cumulative bus time.

So, there have maybe been 3 pretty noteworthy events that I should mention, none of which I have pictures for because I was too busy not hauling around my monster camera. Here are some generic pics for your enjoyment, then I will tell some stories =D



The exchange crew on a hike!


View of downtown Reykjavik

Reykjavik University
#1 Gym party at the boarding schoolWe had a hilarious party at Hlíðardalsskóli, the boarding school where most of us are staying for the time being.  Let me sum up: too much beer, shitty speakers, shitty lighting, small gymnasium in the middle of nowhere.

#2 Camping Party
Yeah, so I think the student's association here has only one job... That is to organize parties for the students where they can drink free beer.  The more of these that exist, the more successful the SA is being.  There are also student clubs that you can join according to your department wherein you pay a membership fee and get access to even more parties with free beer.  This is a big part of their culture - drinking - so it must not be missed.  

Anyways, little camping was done, but there was free beer and hot dogs which, for whatever reason seem to be the favorite fast food of the Icelanders.  There was also a good Dj and an Icelandic band that played some of everything.  Lots of dancing!! Lots of cheezy pop music... love it!

#3 Reykjavik Culture Night
This has been the highlight for me so far!  Very, very cool annual festival type thing in downtown Reykjavik.  I think that the entire city was in the streets that night.  There were musicians everywhere, with at least 3 main stages, and a bunch more smaller ops around corners.  I found one dance party where I went solid for like 45 minutes with like 6 other people while a crowd of 50 watched us and a guy spinning fire staff.

I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get any photos of this either, but I was going light again.  There was a light show at the new arts building/concert hall on the harbor called Harpa, and then fireworks to end the night.  Reykjavik is a beautiful city... Just haven't gotten around to taking photos of it yet.

Harpa

I move into a new place on Sept 1 where I don't have to ride the only bus in at 7:30 in the morning.  Very much looking forward to living in the city!

Please drop me a line anytime!  I feel like I am the only North American in the whole country.  I like messages and emails, and if you're feeling really ambitious you can even give me a call!  My number is +3547753159.  My phone sucks though so I might not answer <>

Much love,

~Yuri

1 comment:

  1. Hey Yuri!
    Iceland looks amazingly beautiful... all the images you have are breath taking. I cant hlep but notice all the sweet looking cliffs and rock bluffs - and word on what the climbing scene is like out there? I have to imagine that volcanic rock is hella good fun to climb on! Haha

    It sounds like you are having a great time so far and I look forward to hearing more about your time there. Paul and I check for updates all the time, so keep them coming!

    Peace,and Love,
    Shy

    ReplyDelete