August 15, 2011

Crash Landing

Well, I hope everyone is having a nice summer in Canada and elsewhere!

All photos are available here

It feels as though I have crash-landed into the icelandic experience.  Upon arriving, I promptly visited the duty-free store for some cheap booze.  This was of course done on instructions from my housing coordinator, Shishir.  The other two things he mentioned in the "Icelandic Survival Guide" were to bring party clothes, and proper outdoor attire.  Good advice.

Soon I was on the bus to Reykjavik.  It is about 12:00 in the morning at this point, and I did not arrive in Reykjavik until forty minutes later, after passing miles of desolate landscape dominated by an almost-full moon shining brightly in the sky.

I arrived at the main bus station in Reykjavik and began my journey through the foreign land towards my bed for the night - A room in the basement of an average looking Icelandic house.  There was however nothing ordinary about the inside of this house.

I was greeted by boisterous shouts and hugs from a throng of drunk Icelanders rounding up a birthday party to head into town for more drinking.  Nothing like this moment to see a spot of priceless Icelandic culture!  After a change of clothes we took a short walk into town, hopping from one bar to the next in a maze of chaos in the streets of downtown Reykjavik.


These people know how to drink I think... Or at least they are very seasoned.  I watched one man hold up an entire street of traffic while he was talking to a lady driving a land rover outside one of the bars.  There is absolutely no way to describe the way these people behave on a saturday night... It's awesome.  It must be seen for oneself.

Anyways, long story short, we arrived home somewhere around 4:00, just as the sun was beginning to rise.  We grilled a couple of hot dogs on the george foreman and hit the hay.

The next morning was a write off, but I got out to explore the city a little bit in the next few days.  Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of Reykjavik city due to a list of foreseeable and unforeseeable circumstances.  They will come.  Not to worry.

Today I was shipped off to a boarding school in the middle of nowhere - Where I am now.  It is about a 45 minute bus ride from Reykjavik past more ghostland and desolate, moss covered volcanic rock.  I do have some pictures of this, and I hope you will like them!

Our Accommodations


Nothing really nearby at all...
So that is it for now... Tomorrow is orientation day for all the international students, so the first day for real learning =D

Speak soon,

~Yuri

No comments:

Post a Comment