Ok so I just made that up right now, but life has a plethora of amazing and awe inspiring moments every day that are always worth sharing. If you've learned nothing today, then I suggest you either try harder, or take more risks.
There's a lot to be said for taking the initiative, not being afraid to look like a shmuck, and actually getting something done. Every time you do this, you will learn something new and exciting about yourself, the world, or as is most often the case, what not to do next time.
I feel like I have been learning constantly since I arrived here. There is so much going on, so many places to explore, people to see, and things to do.
I spent the whole day yesterday resurrecting a bicycle from the dead. It had no chain, totally flogged brake pads, loose bearings, and a rear derailleur that looked as if it had been chewed and spat out by the great beast Ognar who lives under the mountain. I rebuilt an old derailleur, scavenged some brake pads, fixed the hubs, installed a chain, and was only stopped short because of a distinct lack of new shift cable and an inescapable desire to pee.
The magic: A free bike collective workshop where you can work on and fix your bike in exchange for whatever you are able to offer. It is a truly magical place where bikes are reborn, built, and given life again!
The day before, we took a bus to a town in the middle of nowhere (every town is like that here), and hiked across a massive geothermal area to a hot river where we spent a good few hours. We hiked home and caught the bus home just in time for some serious burger joint action, and cookies on the roof while watching the northern lights.
![]() |
| I get the feeling this is a regular occurrence in Iceland |
![]() |
| But I could get used to it... |
Play safe everyone!
~Yuri


No comments:
Post a Comment