January 12, 2011

A New Direction

Here it begins, a new journey through the labyrinth of hallways, staircases, classrooms, and minds that is a semester of University.  Mount Royal has become my home in the last three years, from the 60 steps that I climb countless times a day to get to the third floor, or the couches beside the climbing wall where I can almost always find someone I know.  It is a place of comfort, familiarity and balance.  I have so many good friends that I know, love, and respect, all of whom are on personal journeys of their own.

I have been in class for 3 days.  3 days and I feel like it should have been at least a week.  Aside from the seven courses I am taking this semester, a lot goes on when I am at school.  So much so that, while I find my classes very interesting, I learn almost as much outside of the time that I am sitting behind a desk taking notes.  I have to look at it as a full time job, with serious time commitment and management skills.  One of my most important commitments outside of class time is the role of student representative for the 3rd year students.  Part of what makes this program so great is the relationships and the mentoring that goes on throughout the semester, and I like to take it upon myself to get to know as many of my peers as I can.  Each year has it's own respective student representative, and together we try to be the voice for these people where it really counts.


Aside from the above goal, here are some of the initiatives of the ETOL program this semester.  We are holding a conference on March 11 regarding the barriers to accessing the outdoors for various user groups see website here.  We are planning a 10 day trip down to Red Rocks in the Nevada desert for the duration of the reading week, which has presented challenges of bureaucracy around transportation; we are essentially fighting for use of the university vans to drive 15 or so students 5000 km for a climbing trip.  We are working on creating some awesome program t-shirts and hoodies for all to purchase (see below).  We are attempting to rebirth the ETOL Alumni chapter.  We are hosting numerous events through the Outdoor Adventure Club for the benefit of anyone interested in learning more about outdoor safety and access, including weekly climbing nights.
ETOL Textiles

Most of these projects I am deeply ensconced in, while also trying to market and promote my photography!

So, what does this all have to do with direction?

I think the path we take in life becomes evident when we look at where we have come from.  I often get asked the question, "what are you going to do when you graduate?" And I always think back to Joe's marketing class where he was rambling about an exit strategy.  As I progress through school and life, the need for goals and direction becomes more apparent.  It is all too easy to get lost in a sea of information in this great age of technology, and it seems as though the more you think you know, the more there still is to learn.  By this reckoning, pretty soon we will know everything about nothing, and what's really important will have been lost a long time ago.

There is a need to specialize; to be good at what you  do; to realize that generalization is not necessarily the best thing, even if it may get things done more quickly.

So what is it that I want to do?  I want to travel.  A wise man once told me to always travel for work, so I am going to try my darndest to do an exchange to New Mexico next fall, after which I will have one semester of study remaining.  After I graduate, I want to live for a bit, work on my photography, skiing, and avalanche knowledge, hopefully by throwing a few bombs; I want to travel, write, and otherwise be free.  Once I get that out of my system, I think it is my calling to become a teacher of some kind, so hopefully I can get into a masters of education and become a teacher, photographer, geographer, and dad.

Take it as you may; A vision, direction, goal, or otherwise, but this is how I see myself today.  My perspective may change tomorrow, but I will always seek to live, love, learn, and grow.  I hope that the people that have influenced me the most get to read this.  I will always remember you through the parts of you that I carry with me every day.

Hope that wasn't too sappy at the end!  Until next time,

~Yuri

No comments:

Post a Comment